Embroidered figures for fictive science textbook


The first in what I hope will become a series of fictive illustrations of non-existent science pseudo-knowledge. The Balearic really is a name given to a sea near Spain, but I just like the way it sounds, much in the same way that I love how French knots resemble (vaguely) some kind of mote-like krill or plankton, and how woven spider's web stitches look sort of like starfish. Empiricism be damned!

I plan to stretch this puppy over a firm backing as a means of mounting, but not before I add a brown "frame" of bias tape around the diagram, feeding from under the sides of the label.

Vague plans for the future include a detailed anatomy of whatever those predatory things are at the bottom of the food web and diagrams of their courtship habits, bee--honey-dance annotation style.

The Embroiderer's guild is a great resource for crazy new stitches, as is Sharon B's.

Comments

ellyy said…
I love your colour scheme and french knots. :}

thank you for sharing this great links too!
laura r. said…
yes!
thank you for the links, always good to know.
Anonymous said…
Oh wow, so great! For years I have been toying around with a similar idea... this is great inspiration. Are you familiar with the photographer Joan Fontcuberta? Some of his work is in a similar spirit.
Anonymous said…
so smart! i love this idea ...